I fear the day my family finds me eating an entire pot of mashed potatoes.
My wonderful mother tried many dairy-free mashed potato recipes over the years and when I learned to cook, trying to perfect dairy-free mashed potatoes has been my mission.
Here is the best recipe I have been able to come up with thus far:
Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes
4-6 Servings (Well . . . one serving if they are for me!)
- 5 lbs of potatoes (I prefer Yukon gold, they are creamier)
- Approx 1/2 cup of milk substitute – I recommend almond or rice milk
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5-10 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop your potatoes into 1/2 inch squares. (Feel free to peel them first, if you would like.)
- Add potatoes to large pot of water, bring to boiling, and let boil for 10-20 minutes, until soft and easily pierced with a fork. Drain and rinse.
- Place garlic in small pan and cook on medium heat until light golden browned, stir often.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl, add oil, broth, salt and pepper and garlic. Mix, mash, or blend – whichever tool you prefer. Once they are somewhat mashed and coated with the oil, add the milk a little at a time as you blend until the desired consistency is reached.