Cherry and Apple Giant Stuffed Pork Chops
Total time: 55 mins
- 4 bone-in, thick cut pork chops
- 1 sweet potato or yam, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup red frozen cherries, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons lard
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut sweet potato in half lengthwise, and place cut side down onto a baking sheet.
- Bake sweet potato for 20-25 minutes until completely soft. Let sweet potatoes cool, then remove the sweet potato from the skin and mash with a fork in the a bowl.
- Once you pull the sweet potatoes out, turn oven down to 375 degrees.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the lard, add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in the onion.
- When onion becomes translucent, add in halved cherries, apples, along with the mashed sweet potato, cinnamon, garlic powder, ground cloves, and a bit of salt and pepper. Stir occassionally. Place mixture in a separate bowl and set aside. Keep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops, then take a knife to cut the meat side of the pork chop, trying to create a pocket. Use your knife to dig as deep as you can in the middle of the pork chop, making sure not to cut fully through it.
- Stuff each pork chop with the sweet potato mash.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of lardto the pan, then add the pork chops (making sure not to crowd the pan).
- Sear pork chops on both sides for 4-5 minutes, turning them carefully so all the goodness doesn’t fall out.
- After the pork chops are seared on both sides, place directly in the oven. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until completely cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes.