All I can say is “Whoa!” I may have had a stroke of genius this morning (it may not happen often, but every once in a while I am surprised). I had a hankering for something sweet and by sweet, I mean fruit, as those are really the only sweets I eat. The easiest fruit to grab was a banana but I have really been trying to stay away from them lately. So, I asked myself, how can I add a bunch of protein and fiber to this so I can allow myself to eat it? Hmm. . . Well, I guessed right as I made a delicious little dessert. I literally was moaning as I ate this by myself saying “Mmm, this is so good, mmm” with every bite. Seriously. I kept looking around all guilty-like as if I was eating a whole pint of sorbet. I had to keep reminding myself that there were only 5 simple ingredients in the dish and 10 grams of protein.
Warm Banana and Berry Dessert:
Time: 3 minutes
- 1/2-1 Banana (I used a brown banana, less sugar)
- 1/4 cup mixed frozen berries (I used blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- 15 Whole Almonds
- 1 TBSP Almond Butter
- 1/2 TBSP Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- Place frozen berries in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Slice banana into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces and place in bowl with berries. Add almonds. Microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Add almond butter and chocolate hazelnut butter to bowl. Microwave an additional 15-25 seconds. (the fruit should be warm and the butters somewhat melted on top)
Enjoy! Be careful, the fruit will be warm!
*** You could easily substitute any type of nut and nut butter in this recipe. Additionally, fresh berries could be used, just skip the first microwave time. For less sugar, try an apple instead of the banana.