Eating dairy-free and gluten-free is not that hard BUT eating dairy-free and gluten-free on the go can be challenging. It can be especially difficult if you are on a road-trip, at a sporting event or at a movie theater. I usually end up bringing along nuts, dried fruit or some kind of cereal to keep my hunger at bay but that is sometimes not enough. I found this great recipe for no-bake energy bites (think homemade Clif bars) that are delicious and curb my sweet tooth and appetite.
To be honest, I put too many Rice Krispies into my mix (the recipe reflects the right amount of Rice Krispies) and I couldn’t roll it into balls BUT it still was very good and could be eaten with fingers or with a spoon!
No-Bake Energy Bites Recipe
(Quantity: 20-25 Bites)
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free Rice Krispies (or 1 cup gluten-free oatmeal)
- 2/3 cup almond butter (or peanut butter/cashew butter/etc)
- 1/2 cup ground flax-seed or chia seeds
- 1/2 cup dairy-free/soy-free/corn-free chocolate chips (or dried cranberries)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes, optional
- In a medium-large bowl, begin mixing the almond butter and honey together.
- Add the rice krispies and flax-seed and continue mixing.
- Next, combine the chocolate chips (or dried cranberries). Mix.
- Lastly, add the vanilla extract.
- Continue mixing all of the ingredients until combined well.
- Chill the mix in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- Once chilled, remove from refrigerator and roll into balls 1-2 inches in diameter.
- Store your no-bake energy bites in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Source: Adapted from Gimme Some Oven