The other week, my father-in-law started a mission to make the best gluten-free/dairy-free healthy chicken strips. I wanted to try to help him on this mission so I tried a recipe from Healthful Pursuit but modified it a bit as I didn’t have all of the ingredients for the sauce and didn’t want to run to the store.
Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free “Breaded” Chicken Strips
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup crushed rice chex
- 3 tbsp brown rice flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 8-10 strips (about 1 inch wide)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Mix the rice chex, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each chicken strip in the egg and then coat with the rice chex mixture. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with all strips.
- Evenly drizzle all strips with olive oil on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip strips, cook for another 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Optional: I put my strips under the broiler on low for another 5 minutes to make them a little more crisp.
Pineapple Cilantro Jalapeno Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup finely diced pineapple
- 1 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP minced cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 TBSPs dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Add pineapple, garlic, jalapeno, broth, mustard and honey to a small saucepan. Cook on medium for about 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Once reduced, remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with strips.