Yum! This was the perfect “Brinner” meal. Seriously, you can’t go wrong with a frittata. Everything about it is appealing. Even saying “frittata” is fun. Say it, frittata. Mmm . . .
This frittata was hearty but still very much a breakfast item. I originally got this recipe from Popular Paleo but modified it a bit to reflect the veggies I had on hand.
- 1/2 lb pork sausage
- 3/4 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 3/4 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper, optional
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pan (that has a lid) over medium heat. Add sausage and break up. Continue to stir occasionally for a few minutes.
- When sausage is partially browned, add onions and all peppers. Let cook, stirring occassionally.
- Scramble the eggs in a bowl and season with some salt and pepper.
- Once the sausage, onions and peppers are fully cooked, pour the scrambled eggs into the pan. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. For about 5-7 minutes.
- When you see the edges of the egg start to pull away from the pan, remove the lid and place under a broiler, set to LOW, for about 5 minutes.
- Take frittata out of the oven and place lid on the pan for about one minute. To remove, carefully loosen the sides from the pan and then gently under the frittata. Tip the pan and guide the frittata with the spatula onto a plate/platter.
- Add cayenne pepper (optional) and additional salt and pepper, to taste.