This recipe originated from Dash Recipes but is modified a bit to fit what I currently had available in the cabinets. It turned out super flavorful and is a perfect comfort dish. Actually, I made this at 11:30 PM, which is when I eat “lunch” because I work nights, and my husband was salivating over the food and asked if he could eat it for breakfast the next day. This would be a perfect breakfast leftover with a sunny-side up egg over the top!
Italian Sausage with Potato, Peppers and Onions
Time: 25 minutes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth or beef broth
- 3 medium red potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 bell peppers (I actually used frozen and they worked perfectly)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add oil and sausage. Break up sausage and stir occasionally until cooked through. Add the remaining “sausage ingredients”.
- Add potatoes to skillet and stir. Add broth and cover skillet.
- Cut onion into ¼” thick slices, add to pan. Stir and cover.
- Cut peppers into ¼” thick slices. Add to skillet. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir, sprinkle with parsley. Cover until ready to eat.